Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Seeing in the Dark

Have you ever spent the night somewhere, like a hotel or maybe a relative's house at the holidays, and woke in the night? It's hard to sleep sometimes in an unfamiliar place...but even harder to try to maneuver around in the dark. I rarely sleep through the night, regardless of where I am. But, when I get up and try to find my way around in an unfamiliar room in the dark, I move very slowly. If you had night vision goggles, you would see me groping around, stumbling on things, running into furniture and walls and usually wounding myself. Not a graceful sight...I assure you!
But, in my own room, when nature or a child calls me out of my sweet slumber, I can get out of the bed without seeing a thing, and move freely and confidently throughout the room. I don't run into walls or stumble over furniture.
Why? Because I know my room. It's as if I have a picture of it in my mind. I have confidence because, for years, the dresser has been against the far wall, the door to the hall is to the left, the desk is to the right and the restroom door is straight ahead. It hasn't changed.

The other day, I was looking out the back door at what I knew would be one of the last sunny days of summer. (I appreciate something about every season that God has made, but I feel great when the sun is shining.) I looked up to the sky, and said, "God, why can't the sun shine everyday? You know how I struggle on the dreary days when I can't see the sun."
Now, I honestly did not expect a response...but He spoke to my spirit. "Danielle, look at things right now while the sun shining. Now, take a picture of that in your mind and save it. Now, on the days when darkness covers everything, and you can't see the sun, look at that picture and remember that nothing has changed in the dark. You just can't see it right now...but it's the same...I'm the same."
Wow!! Just because it looks different...doesn't mean it is different.
We can walk through the dark times just as easily as we walk through the good times, if we know Him. Because to know Him is to know that He never changes. To know Him is to know He never leaves or forsakes. To know Him is to know that He is merciful and longsuffering. To know Him is to know that nothing is too hard for Him. To know Him is to know that He ALWAYS has a plan that He is working for your good and His glory...no matter how many times you have failed Him.
We must long to know Him. We must study to know Him. Our faith is strengthened by hearing. How do we hear? Through the Word of God. (Romans 10:17)
Whether you realize or not, you have a picture of God in your mind. What is it based on? Your feelings, your circumstances, your past failed relationships? Or is it based on the Truth...found in His Word. Get to know Him. You will find yourself walking confidently through things, even when you can't see Him in them...because you know He never changes...even in the dark!
For the Lord will be your confidence and will keep your foot from being caught. (Proverbs 3:26)

No comments:

Post a Comment